Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gigantic popular art in Oslo
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]Sir Peter Blake Unveils Enormous Wall Frieze In Oslo

British Pop Art’s leading figure, Sir Peter Blake, is in Oslo to unveil an enormous wall frieze entitled 'Icons for Norway', which covers 1,200 square metres of the Skur 13 building at Tjuvholmen. Blake has also created unique pictures inspired by iconic Norwegians and Norwegian landmarks for an exhibition called 'The Oslo Suite' at the Stolper + Friends gallery at Tjuvholmen. The Oslo area of Tjuvholmen is emerging as a Scandinavian cultural hub with a thriving art scene surrounding the soon-to-open Astrup Fearnley Museum designed by Renzo Piano.

- I am really looking forward to the show at Stolper+Friends in Oslo, where I am showing a group of 'found art' prints together with three unique collages. I have selected a group of seven Norwegian icons from historical postcards and images that I then print large onto paper. I like the way inkjet can print beautifully in such minute detail, and how even the creases and stains look amazing. I have also made three works that continue my interest in collage, in cutting and pasting. I have always looked at iconography from different countries and cities. Having recently made collages of Paris and London, Norway feels like a logical extension of that on-going 'world tour'. The show has also meant that I have been offered to work on Skur 13, opposite the gallery, an enormous warehouse building that I have covered in some of my classic pop art imagery, as well as incorporating the Norwegian flag into one of my designs, says Sir Peter Blake.

All of the works in the ‘The Oslo Suite’ exhibition have been created exclusively for the gallery and the exhibition. The series of Norwegian icons features Fridtjof Nansen, Roald Amundsen, Sonia Henie and Edvard Munch, among others.

- This is the first time that Peter Blake will exhibit his artwork in a solo exhibition in Norway. Blake is one of our greatest living pop artists, and has an incredible list of achievements. The wall frieze ‘Icons for Norway’ is exceptional. Blake has never created something of this size before in his career, says Magne Furuholmen on behalf of the Stolper + Friends gallery.

‘Icons for Norway’ is a cooperation project involving The Thief, Tjuvholmen KS and Stolper + Friends.

- It is fantastic to welcome Peter Blake and his art to Norway in the same month as he turns 80. Tjuvholmen, which is fast becoming Oslo’s new art centre, is the perfect setting. We like Peter Blake’s work very much, and have purchased three original collages inspired by Norwegian landmarks for The Thief. The collages will be exhibited in the hotel’s penthouse suite when it opens in 2013. The room will of course be named The Oslo Suite, says Sune Nordgren, curator of The Thief.

Peter Blake held his first solo exhibition as early as 1960. Since then, Blake has secured a unique position within British pop art, and has been exhibiting at leading galleries and museums worldwide for many years. Popularly, he is perhaps best known for his iconic 1967 cover for the album «Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band» by the Beatles.

‘Icons for Norway’ was unveiled by Peter Blake in the Skur 13 building yesterday (6th June), and remain in place for around six months. Sir Peter Blake will open the ‘The Oslo Suite’ exhibition at the Stolper + Friends gallery today, on 7th June.